Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Rainbow of colours

Lots of pictures over the past two days, taken in short bursts of time. There didn't seem much to post about, but as I looked over the range of colours, perhaps every colour of the rainbow was represented.

This was taken Monday afternoon by the bike path in North Vancouver leading to the Lions Gate Bridge. I looked up to see a very faint rainbow. It will take a superhuman effort on your part to detect it, but this was all that remained by the time I got off my bike and took the camera out of its case. There were guards waiting near the entrance to Park Royal, just to the left of the path. I have no idea why they have been there for the past few days. A google search gave me no answers, but they asked me what I was doing when I got off the bike. When I told them I was trying to take a picture of the rainbow, they smiled.

From the top of the bridge, the sky was quite dramatic. The silver lining of many poems seems more like gold to me.

I zoomed in on the fire and smoke section of the sky.

The tugboat and Seaspan carriers passed over pale water that held only the tiniest hint of the drama overhead.

Yesterday, I spent just a few minutes by the river around lunchtime. This heron was busy hunting. I saw pink reflections, splashes of blue, silver highlights, mossy green, white cap and chin, pale orange bill, and steel grey rocks.

Not so much colour here, but the crow was watching me, and I like crows a lot. With a little imagination, you may detect some cobalt blue against the black.

A Fox Sparrow walked on gold flecks.

Reddish brown tail feathers, silver eye detail and textured green in the rocks blended nicely.

There is always a painting on this wall, and I noticed that it has changed. I tried to find a long-ago post to show the former version, but it will take more time than I have to find it. The unhappy face is hopefully cheered up by the surrounding colours.

As I step from the rocks to the ground above, a small section of blue crystal twinkles in the light.

These curlycue branches don't have much colour, but they have character. Heart images in preparation for Valentine's Day? Or...

stick-figure people leaning back in a hearty belly-laugh?

Later, Black Jack's walk by False Creek caught yet another series of sunset images. Tangerine tire tracks on powder blue-grey sky. Or, pale river flowing through pink-orange land.

A few minutes later. Front row seats for the show.

The ducks sit on pinkish water.

Darkness falls, lights come on.

The camera makes the tree branches a bit too chaotic. This is one of those shots that look better with the naked eye.

One-third of a silvery moon against purple sky. These shots are in succession, and seconds apart.

Now, the ducks float across a golden path.

Monk's throws a little red into the mix.

Lemon yellow windows over layered blue houses.

Silhouetted trees over polk-a-dot mystery lights as the show comes to an end.
Procrastination comes to an end as well. Time to do some school work. Happy middle-of-the-week to you!

4 comments:

  1. Your imagination and creative prose added such depth to the stunning photographs. There are so many ways to interpret the stick-figure people. The branches remind me of simple line drawings that amazingly are able to convey personality and character. And I love the luscious colors and reflections throughout this post. Perhaps my favorite this morning is of the cradle moon looking so graceful in the purple sky. Have a great rest of the week, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Tangerine tire tracks on powder blue-grey sky" - LOVE it! I may have to borrow that description one day!
    The stick people or stick hearts in the first shot made me think of ballet dancers - reaching, stretching, arms gracefully curved above their heads.
    Great shots, Carol. I really enjoyed the rainbow theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm dropping by from my life with the critters, to say hello.

    your pictures are lovely. i particularly like the curlycue branches. they may not have colour, but they're beautifully simple. and yes, i think they look very much like hearts!

    have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your imagination and creative prose added such depth to the stunning photographs. There are so many ways to interpret the stick-figure people. The branches remind me of simple line drawings that amazingly are able to convey personality and character. And I love the luscious colors and reflections throughout this post. Perhaps my favorite this morning is of the cradle moon looking so graceful in the purple sky. Have a great rest of the week, Carol!

    ReplyDelete