Friday, May 8, 2009

Changes

Change is sometimes challenging, but when I can remember to go with the flow, it is also refreshing.  I reflected on that yesterday, as I took a short walk around the school where I teach in North Vancouver.  I hadn't really looked about since returning from the two-week break, and the feeling was familiar and new at the same time.

There was a lot more green and some new blooms, looking over the little river at the side of the school.

Looking across the water from the back of the school, different boats, an anchor I had never seen before, and again, more green.
Just outside the building, new plants. 
Biking home, I stopped on the Lions Gate Bridge, something I hadn't taken time to do for a couple of weeks.  Intricate cloud patterns and ocean swirls, not so different from my drifting thoughts.
Looking way down, Barrows Golden-Eyes, melded into the swirls.
I watched for a few minutes, and in that time, they formed shape after shape.
My life has changed a little bit too.  It has its challenges as I adapt to a new space, but the renewal in my friendship with Bill feels right.  Being the true, good soul that he is, he has made the transition as smooth as it could possibly be.  We have walked together, eaten together (he made supper and brought it here last night!!!), watched hockey games together, and Black Jack figures it's all good.  She has had him all to herself for a walk each day, and has even gained altitude to watch the squirrels, by lying on his belly, when he napped in the afternoon.  Just down the hill from Bill's house, and a five-minute walk from Jericho Park, Black Jack and I live in a building where every single resident, I believe, has a pet.  She has a ringside view of the action from our ground floor apartment, which looks into a nature's smorgasbord courtyard.  As the previous tenant told me, she saw all the seasons from her window.  There will be lots of stories to tell.  Someone once said something to the effect that the more things change, the more they stay the same.  I think there is truth in that, but the process, or maybe illusion, of change gives a new dimension to the familiar things I understood and valued.  

5 comments:

  1. New challenges and adventures always feel more stable when there is something familiar to touch base with. I'm glad to hear things you are settling in to your new place and seeing in your world both the familiar and the new.

    As I pack up my boxes, I will think of you unpacking yours!

    I love the images created by your words and pictures of the ducks in the water - reminds me of happy childhood hours spent playing with a kaleidoscope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that you and Bill have changed your tack, but can only hope that it is the best new path for both. That picture from the Lion's Gate is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jean and dp. Your kind thoughts are really appreciated. Bill, Black Jack and I are doing well. I have no idea what the future will bring, but it does feel like the "best new path" for now.

    The kaleidoscope image was perfect, Jean. It triggered a childhood memory as well.

    And, packing? It is definitely a pain, as is unpacking, Jean, but you know that. On the other hand, I think you pointed out somewhere that it does have a cleansing aspect to it. I keep reminding myself about that. At this point, I just want to be able to find things again:) All the best with your move! Is it happening very soon, or do you still have a little procrastination time:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have a wee bit of procrastination time, Carol, but not much. I'm heading to the new place tomorrow for ten days, then come back for about two and a half weeks, much of which is filled with appointments. Move date is June 11th.
    So much to do, so much to do!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, you said: 'Change is sometimes challenging, but when I can remember to go with the flow, it is also refreshing.' - if you don't resist change, all will always worke out. Wishing you well in new changes. As always your images are stunning, refreshing and full of life. Anna :)

    ReplyDelete