Thursday, October 1, 2009

Rain drops and birds

I stole a few moments on Wednesday to wander with my camera along the trail by my school. This tiny chick-a-dee was busy gathering seeds (I think). I loved the way it hung upside down, swinging freely and confidently.
There have been a couple of wet rides to school this week. I didn't mind them as much as I thought I would. In fact, they were strangely enjoyable, although, discovering that the rain had stopped later in the afternoon was definitely worthy of celebration. Camera in hand, I headed out again today for another relaxing walk around the school. This heron was sitting on the school roof.
About a year or so ago, I remember doing a post about rain droplets on leaves. I found myself doing that again.
The sun barely managed a glimmer through the clouds, but Sumac leaves added brilliance to the surroundings.
More rain droplets.
They seemed to line themselves up on the blades of grass. Little spheres of light.
The crows gather a bit earlier each afternoon. Like the heron, they seemed to find the school roof attractive today.
I thought all the bald eagles had left the area, but heard the familiar call today, and spotted one on the ship, quite a distance from shore.
More Sumac leaves.
"Everyone must take time to sit and watch the leaves turn," says Elizabeth Lawrence. Seems like a good idea to me.

4 comments:

  1. Hi BJ, it's been a while. How are you? Those are nice pictures, the colors are fantastic. You know what? We have a new friend here, he is a rescued from the last week's floods we found him swimming and we took him home, we call him Puppy for the moment since we don't know his name. He will stay with us for the meantime until the owner finds him....take care.

    AL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to confess that I've found the rain comforting. All that sun and heat was nice, but this is what fall in the lower Mainland is all about. Good news: I got one of the bike lockers at Cambie & Broadway, so I can start riding to campus again without fear of getting schmucked in the downtown area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also enjoying the cooler weather and the occasional shower. Walking by the ocean yesterday I was thinking how the changing weather affects not only the colour of leaves but the colour of the water - it was a lovely combination of slate blues and greys, quite different from its usual palette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment, Al. I have been checking the news and think, if you are in Manila, that you may have escaped the worst of the latest typhoon (Parma). You are wonderful to have rescued Puppy. I hope he'll be reunited with his human(s) soon. I'll be watching anxiously for a new post, for confirmation that you are okay.

    Good to hear, dp. Ride safe and have fun! "Occasional" is the key word here:)

    Yes, Jean, I love that slate blue/gray ocean color. It is quite wonderful how the sky and water reflect nature's changes back to us.

    ReplyDelete