Saturday, January 3, 2015

Some oldies and some current critters too.

Critter sightings have been a bit sparse this week so I've gone back to October of 2009 to share an American Dipper with Eileen's Saturday's Critters and also with Anni's I'd Rather Be Birdin'.  I do recommend you visit both blogs.  Both women have such a deep appreciation for nature and wildlife and many of their sightings and photographs are spectacular.  Some of you have seen this Dipper before. My apologies for that.  This was one of only two times in my life to spot one, and the only time to catch a fairly clear shot.  I still treasure the memory.    
A quote from the bird site linked above says: "The American Dipper is North America's only truly aquatic songbird. It catches all of its food underwater in swiftly flowing streams by swimming and walking on the stream bottom."
And, here's my dear Black Jack chewing on her bullystick last evening.
She is very thorough, always giving equal attention to each side of her mouth..
We always watch her closely and only let her chew for about ten minutes.  Bill usually reads to me from our Kindle during her chew time and then she cuddles with us while we continue reading.  We are still enjoying The Goldfinch and I am still so completely engrossed that I become really ill at ease whenever I fear for the safety of Theo, the main character.  I wonder how many of you also become so involved in fiction that it feels like real life to you? 
One more picture of Black Jack taken this morning,
and one of a House Finch taken in the park across from our apartment,
also this morning.
And lastly, some snow geese, another old photo from October of 2009.
That's my critter post for this week. 
Many thanks for stopping by.

8 comments:

  1. I love the dipper and Black Jack is so sweet. I wish you a Happy New Year 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Carol, the Dipper is a cool bird and I like the finch and awesome geese in flight. And your Black Jack is the star, she is adorable..I love the shot of her laying down with the one ye open..So cute! Thank so much for joining in with your critters and linking up. Have a happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the snow geese! and black jack is a cute little chewer. :) sweet dipper, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wonderful pictures ! Your Black Jack is so sweet !
    Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete
  5. The American dipper sounds like a very neat bird! You guys know the way to read: Kindles are so handy! I like mine since I can read the book the day I order it instead of waiting for it to be shipped; it can easily fit into a purse...and if I want to read outside there are no pages flapping in the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am just starting "Goldfinch" for one of my book group discussions. We will need to have a good talk when we are all finished!! I know Black Jack loves your reading time because it means cuddling! M and O love to cuddle on the couch and "turn" the pages on my Kindle. M can last 10 minutes but O is inclined to say, "Now Grandma? Now?" which makes it hard to concentrate. I love the "dipper" picture! Hugs, Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are gorgeous...and your first photo is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the dipper. We saw one in action in the bottom of the Grand Canyon many years ago and it was wonderful! Love Black Jack, and your other photos are great too. Hope this is a wonderful new year for you, with lots of wonderful opportunities.

    ReplyDelete