Thursday, January 15, 2009

Wednesday Walkabout

There was only time for about a ten-minute walkabout on school property yesterday, and the pictures were all poor, except for maybe this first one which caught a little of the between light that always seems to tweak my imagination.
Most of the subjects were way too far off, even to be sure I identified them correctly.  I am becoming greedy in wanting my camera to help my eyes out more and more.  I think this was one of the two eagles I saw on Tuesday.  It couldn't be a seagull, could it?  That would be pretty embarrassing.  It, and a partner were circling around and around, high overhead.  I crave a camera (and the skills) to show details in high up, and far away, images.
On Tuesday, Doran pointed out the Osprey nest.  Yesterday, I could just make out these two birds in it?  Could they be Osprey, or are they a couple of pigeons taken advantage of a comfortable landing spot?

And just for a minute, I thought I saw a sea lion on the log.  Did someone go to the trouble of carving that fellow?  How and when did it become established on the log?  Just a fluke of nature?  Sorry for all the questions (and poor quality pictures), but there seem to be more and more of them, as I explore with my camera. 

2 comments:

  1. I would say that is an eagle, not a seagull, Carol - the silhouette is eagle from tail to beak. But I'm pretty sure those are pigeons (or maybe small seagulls?) testing out the osprey's nest!

    I, too, get very frustrated by my lack of ability to capture images of birds in flight. For that matter, I have trouble capturing birds on the feeder - I swear they shrink to pea-size the minute I snap the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jean. Your comments seem on the money, as usual. I don't know what I'd do without you, dp and Bill to answer my questions:) I was pretty sure that was an eagle when i was watching it circle with its partner, but when I looked at the silhouette, it somehow seemed smaller and less eagle-like to me. I think it was your "shrink to pea-size" phenomena:)

    Bill figured out the "sea-lion" log was just the way logs weather in the water , and that also made sense once I thought about it.

    ReplyDelete