Friday, August 22, 2014

Our Day from Tupper's (Imagined) Viewpoint

Here's a rundown of our day yesterday, as seen through a combination of my eyes and Tupper's, the latter's mostly imagined.  Mine will be in the usual format.  Tupper's will be centred over the photos.  It is challenge enough, most of the time, to analyze  the thoughts of the humans around us.  If we're paying attention,  those of our beloved pets can be more direct, but to work out the thoughts of wildlife, even ones we have been privileged to recognize on an individual basis, is a feat I do not pretend to have mastered.  All to say, take my interpretations with a healthy grain or three of salt :)

I'll begin and end the post with photographs taken yesterday of Tupper as I'd like to share this post with Saturday's Critters and The Bird Depot when those memes open up to new entries.  Many thanks to Eileen and to Anni. 
   Hello
My new lens (Sigma 17-50 mm) has finally gone back to the factory for repairs.  Our trip to Broadway Camera is the first one I'd have to say wasn't so enjoyable.  Procrastination cost me a chance to exchange the lens for a different one, as would have been my choice.  Neither Bill nor I had realized that had to be done within two weeks.  That said, I'm hoping its repair will end the photography issues for a good while to come.
As long as you get good pictures of me, what are you worried about?
 We soothed our nerves afterwards with lattés and treats at Caffé Cittadella and did a pretty good job on a crossword puzzle too.  Then, it was back on our bikes and around the False Creek seawall towards home.  We stopped to listen to an outdoor performance by Clara Shandler.  The notice below was tacked to the side of the stage.  I was impressed.
I wonder if she feeds seagulls. 
 Black Jack and Bill listened from a short distance away while I picked up a few groceries, deposited them in Bill's basket, and then moved closer to get some photos.
Is he reaching in his pocket to give Black Jack treats?  Hope he saves some for me.
 As I write this post, I'm listening to Clara play Bach, as found at that link given above.  Below, she was doing an upbeat piece.  The gentlemen passing by loved it.  I don't know the name of the drummer with her, but he did an excellent job of supporting her.
I make my own music every day.  Just have to get me a cup. 
 Our next stop was to watch the gentleman in front giving advice to beginner unicyclists.
They had a lot of fun.  With the pedals close to the ground, I realized there is the option of stepping off when things get a bit dicey.
 One person preferred to use the railing to get started, 
 but he was soon able to manage without holding on.
He should just wave his arms more vigorously.
 It occurred to me that those unicyclists are pretty lucky, riding around in a safe space, but with a view available whenever they rest.
Let me tell you about the views.
 After taking photos, I returned to Bill and Black Jack.  I could see a twinkle in Bill's eye.
Hm..  what's he up to this time?
Bill had noticed a police car parked beside the path.  When the policewoman got in the car..
 he asked me to take his picture.  He tried to look serious in the first shot, but was grinning in the way I love best in the second one.
Yeah, he's funny, but does he have treats?  That's the question.
Bill wasn't finished his performance.  I have to wonder if the policewoman was smiling..
 and maybe even waiting for us to finish the shoot (no pun intended) before driving away.
I like a guy with a sense of humour and treats in his pocket.
 When we arrived home, we saw many, many people walking in front of our apartment building and gathered in David Lam Park, across the street.  They were all dressed in white.
Bill went inside but I had to find out what was going on.  Remember Christopher and Maya, the dancers I photographed yesterday?  Well, I can tell you they sure clean up good :)  I'm kicking myself for not taking their photos, but can tell you they looked wonderful in white.  They told me this was an event called Le Diner En Blanc.  
A search will give you more information but the quick description is a "smart mob" event that can take place anywhere in the world, and that involves good behaviour, a certain dress code, and many, many people.  There were, according to news reports, about 3200 people participating yesterday, but thousands more lined up for tickets, only to be disappointed.
As I was taking pictures, I suddenly noticed Tupper on top of a light standard.
If they wanna see good lookin' dressed in white, they don't have to go far. 
 I couldn't believe she had the courage to land near me, as she has shown some shyness with crowds previously.
I was hungry.
Two things happened that upset me as I was giving her her treats.  First, a young girl, about ten years old, tried (and just missed) to kick her.  The child's parents thought that was funny.  Then, a gentleman mean man let his German Shepherd chase her.   The dog almost got her tail.  The man laughed as well.  Tupper managed to make it back up to the lamp standard.
Gotta remember all humans are not the same. 
I was sad and angry but at least relieved to see Tupper safe.  I took a few more photos..
 and thought about the logistics of running such an event.
 Tupper continued to watch..
What will those humans think of next?
 I'll have to wait until it's safe..
 Okay.  Good.  Now to get her to come over here and feed me.
 Tupper found a spot on the other side of the street and I managed to give her quite a nice feed before leaving her to join Bill and Black Jack for supper.  No white-dress code for us, but we enjoyed a relaxed time with Bill, ever the good listener, as disturbed as I was when I told him about Tupper's close calls.
Thanks for the feed.  I'm off now but I'll be back for "Le Diner" leftovers tomorrow. 
 That was the last I saw of Tupper yesterday.  Bill and I went up to the roof of our building after supper to catch this shot of the mob event.  The music was very loud, but bearable, and,
 until we saw this balloon with an unidentifiable source of light float..
 very high into the sky, we were thinking all was going very smoothly.  Bill recognized immediately that it was a fire hazard, and I, as always, worried for wildlife.
 I took a few more shots and then we decided to head outside.
 Two firetrucks had arrived and quite a number of firemen.  They had been summoned..
because of the balloon.  I don't know if they had to take any further action, but can tell you no fires started, and people..
 continued to have a good time dancing and yelling laughing, and generally making the..
 most of their considerable effort to take part in the mob event.  We learned that with the exception of the people at the head tables (volunteers), all others had to bring their own tables, chairs and any other equipment thought to be appropriate.
As we watched people making their way home across Pacific Street, all I could think..
of was the work involved.  It seemed to be worth it to them.  
 I guess the truth is that I'd rather take pictures and observe from the sidelines with Bill.
 It it's people watching that you want,
 this is an event to see for sure.
Some had tried to dress comfortably, but no one, to me, looked really at ease.
 That said, it was an evening out.. 
and a chance for people who like such things..
 to dress up.
The men who attended, and there were many, seemed to have put as much effort in their..
 hat choices as the women.
It was fun watching and even the long night of rather disturbing clean-up and bottle collecting  didn't bother me too much, but I'll be looking forward to seeing Tupper today to make sure she survived the night with no disasters.  (Edited to add that we did see her on Friday and she was just fine.)
My kind of white is as beautiful as anything you saw there, don't you think?
Thanks for reading, everyone, and a very happy Friday to you.  If you'd like to see more critters, come back tomorrow and check out those meme links I gave you.  My thanks, again, to Eileen and Anni!

4 comments:

  1. poor tupper. sorry about the lens, too! hope it comes back fixed and ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha … Bill posing around the police car is pretty funny. Hope you don’t get a ticket, Bill. And I like all the people wearing white. Looks like a big wedding. It really must take a lot to organize such a event. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Several of my young friends were at the Le Diner Blanc!!! I loved the story from Tupper's point of view. How awful that a child tried to kick her and the parents did nothing. ARRRGGGHHH!
    Hugs for you both! Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved to read this & of course all the pics tell stories!
    So many stories here :)

    ReplyDelete